Friday 28 January 2011

Another Milestone Reached!




Today, after 24 months of work, we were FINALLY successful in densifying torrefied wood into a puck suitable for utility fuel as a coal replacement.


This was done as a cold pressing without any binders, or additives. We were able to achieve a mass density of 1200 kg/m3, which was one of our primary targets.


Now that I have these little "gems", I think I might just go ahead and have them gold plated. After all, at 3 grams each - and with an investment so far of over £100,000.00 to make them, they have cost far more than GOLD!

However, at the end of the day, it has all been worth it. The sense of achievement and pride in this accomplishment has made my week. Of course, there is still a LONG way to go - but this hurdle was the tallest one in the race.
Now, we can move forward with grindability, Hydrophobicity, Durability, and other tests, in our never-ending quest.
I think I'll go and celebrate!
RW

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!

    This first batch should be the prelude to a large order from a coal fired plant.

    ReplyDelete